Part Quality Engineer
Under general supervision, this position is responsible for investigating, analyzing and correcting issues with supplier parts through collaborative efforts with business partners within the company and suppliers to ensure the incoming quality and functionality of parts.
- Coordinate, align and report on activities for Model Year and Running Change Measures.
- Align with the Supplier Quality Engineer (MP) on boundary samples, reviewing trial parts, providing line support, and reporting part readiness for launch to the MP team.
- Lead corrective action and root cause analysis using problem solving methods and continuous improvement techniques.
- Support Production Operations regarding supplier related issues, process improvements, and cross-functional activities to achieve quality, safety, and production goals.
- Coordinate part sorting activities utilizing 3rd party to include in-house, yard and sequencing areas.
- Coordinate and initiate containment activities in-house and feedback to Supplier Quality and Supplier(s).
- Initiate supplier notification and initial problem-solving documentation.
- Communicate and coordinate part quality and data information between supplier plants.
- Coordinate and manage part campaigns for retrofit/rework.
- Coordinate engine/transmission activities related to quality with German engine plant colleagues and suppliers.
- Coordinate repair activities for engine/transmission with the supplier and company plants.
- Maintain spare/repair part inventory for engines and transmissions.
- Coordinate all repair procedures and methods in alignment with the Daimler engine/transmission plants and local repair technicians.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field of study OR the equivalent combination of education and/or years of relevant working experience.
- Co-Op/internship or up to two (2) years professional experience in a Quality Engineering function within an engine/transmission manufacturing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience using handheld measurement tools (i.e. calipers, micrometers, etc.).
- In-depth understanding of GD&T and SPC analysis.
- Ability to enforce the basic requirements of a quality system within an automotive manufacturing environment (i.e. APQP steps, control plan validation, PFMEA reviews, audits).
- Working knowledge of specific manufacturing processes (i.e. chassis drive train components).
- Strong background in welding, stamping, injection/blow molding, casting, and machining.
- Advanced knowledge of power train components including brake, suspension, exhaust, steering, HVAC, engine and transmission systems.
- Knowledge of interior systems and processes; including but not limited to, seats, center consoles, cockpits, door panels, headliners, carpet, and interior trim.
- Strong problem-solving skills using methodologies like 8D, 5-WHY, DOE, RedX, Six Sigma, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform other Supplier Quality Operations related duties, such as line call support, issue response, audit finding investigations, walk-backs, non-conforming material handling, etc.
- Proficiency in CAD, Catia, CMM, FMEA, APQP, Faro Arm measurement.
- German language skills. • Work is normally performed in an office, laboratory, manufacturing floor, or machine shop setting where physical work includes, but is not limited to, sitting, standing, reaching, kneeling, bending, and lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to understand and comply with all relevant safety practices.
This job description is a high-level overview of general expectations of this position. It is not intended to list every responsibility of the position nor does it represent an employment contract of any kind.